Facts & Figures
- 53 bottles (70cl @40% ABV) of Scotch Whisky are shipped from Scotland to around 180 markets around the world each second, totalling over 1.6bn every year
- Laid end to end those bottles would stretch about 467,000kms - that's more than 11 times around the Earth!
- In 2022, Scotch Whisky exports were worth £6.2bn
- In 2022, Scotch Whisky accounted for 77% of Scottish food and drink exports and 25% of all UK food and drink exports
- In 2022, Scotch Whisky accounted for 26% of all Scotland’s international goods exports and 1.5% of all UK goods exports
- The Scotch Whisky industry provides £5.5bn in gross value added (GVA) to the UK economy (2018)
- More than 11,000 people are directly employed in the Scotch Whisky industry in Scotland and over 42,000 jobs across the UK are supported by the industry
- 7,000 of these jobs in rural areas of Scotland providing vital employment and investment to communities across the Highlands and Islands
- Around 90% of barley requirements of the industry are sourced in Scotland
- In 2019, there were 2.2 million visits to Scotch Whisky distilleries, making the industry the third most popular tourist attraction in Scotland
- Some 22 million casks lie maturing in warehouses in Scotland waiting to be discovered - that is around 12bn 70cl bottles
- To be called Scotch Whisky, the spirit must mature in oak casks in Scotland for at least 3 years
- There are currently 148 operating Scotch Whisky distilleries across Scotland (October 2023)
All figures relate to Jan-Dec 2022 unless stated.
news & commentary
Scotch Whisky exports grow to over £6bn
Post-pandemic restocking, the return of Global Travel Retail and premiumisation trends all contributed to growth in volume and value for Scotch Whisky in 2022.
'Lost decade of growth' as tariffs and Covid hit Scotch Whisky exports hard
Scotch Whisky export figures for 2020 have now been released, with the industry experiencing a ‘lost decade of growth’ as tariffs and Covid hit exports hard.
Scotch Whisky exports surge amidst backdrop of tariff uncertainty
Scotch Whisky exports grew by 4.4% to more than £4.9bn in 2019, with 1.3bn bottles exported to 180 markets.