UK General Election 2019
We are asking candidates standing in the 2019 UK General Election to #SupportScotch by signing up to five commitments which will boost the Scotch Whisky industry, our workforce and communities across the UK.
Learn more about the value of the Scotch Whisky industry and its supply chain - for exports, tax revenue, employment and growth - below.
Our 5-point Manifesto to #SupportScotch
- Reform of UK excise duty structures and fair tax for Scotch
- Government funded promotion campaign for Scotch Whisky in the United States
- Provide effective infrastructure for business growth
- Support action on sustainability, including increasing funding of low carbon projects through Growth Deals
- Work in partnership to reduce alcohol misuse
The Scotch Whisky Association represents an iconic domestic manufacturing industry with global reach. With over 70 member companies representing over 90% of production – from small, family businesses to international brands – we are the voice of strategically important sector for the Scottish and wider UK economies.
The Scotch Whisky industry
- Exports 41 bottles of Scotch Whisky per second, worth £4.7bn in 2018
- Adds £5.5bn in Gross Value Added to the economy
- Supports over 40,000 jobs across the UK, including many in rural parts of the country
- Invests over £1.8bn in our UK-wide supply chain
With over three years of Brexit uncertainty costing the industry tens of millions of pounds, a high domestic tax burden stifling growth, and a 25% tariff levied on single malt Scotch Whisky and liqueurs in our largest global market, industry now more than ever needs the support of candidates and political parties in the upcoming election.