Facts & Figures
14 May 2013
- Exports generated £4.3 billion for the UK balance of
- Exports earned £135 every second.
- 40 bottles were shipped overseas each second.
- 96 million cases were exported worldwide.
- Laid end to end they would stretch more than 30,000kms -
or about six times the distance between Edinburgh and New
- Around 10,000 are directly employed in the Scotch Whisky
industry - many in economically deprived areas.
- Over 35,000 jobs across the UK are supported by the
- About £1 billion contributed to the Exchequer in taxes.
- Some 20 million casks lie maturing in warehouses in
- To be Scotch Whisky, the spirit must mature in oak casks in
Scotland for at
least 3 years.
- 109 distilleries are licensed to produce Scotch Whisky.
Did you know?
- Scotch Whisky accounts for a quarter of UK food and drink
- Scotch Whisky is sold in around 200 markets
- Scotch Whisky sells three times its nearest rival whisky.
- Drinkers in the UK often choose to enjoy it with just a little
water, but in Spain they mix it with cola. In Japan Scotch is
enjoyed with lots of water and ice, and in China with cold green
- More Scotch is sold in one month in France than Cognac in a
Contact: Rosemary Gallagher, Communications Manager
Tel: 0131 222 9230
Fax: 0131 222 9237