SWA General Election Manifesto 2017
08 May 2017
The SWA represents an iconic industry around the world.
Our nearly 70 members - from small, family businesses to companies
operating globally - play a leading role in a strategically
important sector for the Scottish and wider UK economies.
Scotch Whisky is the biggest net contributor to the UK's balance
of trade in goods, supporting thousands of jobs across the UK.
Each year, the Scotch Whisky industry:
- Exports 39 bottles of Scotch Whisky per second, worth £4bn
- Adds nearly £5bn in value to the economy
- Supports over 40,000 jobs across the UK
- Spends £1.7bn on its supply chain, almost all in the UK
But that success must not be taken for granted.
We ask political parties and candidates standing in the 2017
General Election to #SupportScotch by signing up to six commitments
to boost Scotch Whisky and its UK supply chain.
- 1. Advocate for review of the excise duty system and fairer tax
- 2. Support Scotch exports by delivering on the industry's
Brexit priorities, through ambitious trade deals, and robust IP
- 3. Promote a competitive business environment for
- 4. Work in partnership to reduce alcohol misuse
- 5. Target reform supporting investment in sustainability
- 6. Support Scotch Whisky through the UK industrial
The full manifesto document is available to download